T'bilisi, Republic of Georgia

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Lexi Is Eleven Months Old!

Lexi started her eleventh month following the 4th of July.  We were still in Minnesota wrapping up our last ten days of an extended vacation.  She spent Independence Day hanging out with Grandma Sharon, in what turned out to be matching outfits.  (Just a cute coincidence.)  Grandma introduced her to pinwheels.  Later in the evening we watched my brother Joel light off some fancy ground fireworks on the driveway.  Although Lexi was excited by the sparkling flashing lights, the noise became too much, so Lexi and I went inside and watched the fireworks through the living room window.

In these last few days of vacation, I came across a mountain bike with a child's seat for the low, low price of $35.  We bought it and with a little fixing up it was ready to take Lexi for a ride.  At first she didn't know what to think of it, but by the third ride she was thoroughly enjoying it.  She would squeal, clap her hands, "hum", "sing", and hold her hands out in the breeze. 

Coming home from vacation was quite the experience. The representative at the gate lied to me and told me that there would be no empty seats in the entire plane, and that I would have to hold Lexi in my lap the entire way home. I knew this couldn't be true, but what could I do? I was at their mercy. It was a late evening flight, and I had hoped Lexi would sleep, but she was wide awake and did not want to miss a moment. I was on pins and needles fearing she would fuss and cry.  As I expected the seat next to me was empty so Lexi had a seat to herself. I tried to seatbelt her in, but she simply twisted sideways and stood up. She had a great time looking out the window at the large puffy white clouds and ripping up all the airline magazines within reach. I fed her two bottles of formula hoping to induce sleepiness. The first one energized her for an hour. The second one at 11:00 at night did the trick. She slept for the last half-hour of our flight. Then she was awake again, and only a little whiny, until we got home and in bed at one in the morning.

I'm so proud of Lexi. She simply amazes me. The other day I decided to encourage her to use a spoon during meals. I scooped up some pasta in cheesy tomato sauce and put the spoon in her hand. She got it into her mouth--not neatly, but most of the food got in--so we did the entire meal that way. When she got the spoon all cleaned off, she would thrust it out to me so I could fill it out again.  We've been eating meals with a spoon ever since.

She's been doing that a lot this past month--reaching out to me to have me help her. We were playing with a picnic basket toy and she wanted me to play with her so she grabbed my arm and moved it to the basket and then to the play-food, and back and forth she moved my hand filling and emptying the picnic basket. I don't know if that is what she intended, but she seemed to be happy with the results.  She also grabs my hand when we're reading books and makes me trace the words with my finger, or touch and feel things in the touch-and-feel books.
For a change of pace, I have included some videos of some of the accomplishments Lexi has made this month shortly after arriving home from vacation.  (Disclaimer: No babies were harmed during the making of these films.)  I hope you enjoy them, and please let me know if they don't work.

No comments:

Post a Comment